Thursday, June 11, 2009

rainy day playdough


It has been rainy for a few days at our house so we decided to make some playdough. We made it a few days ago and the girls have played with it everyday since. I split the recipe into two bowls so that each if my girls could choose their own color and mix it up. I have seen two recipes. One uses Alum and the other uses Cream of Tatar. I tried both and I can't tell any difference. If anyone knows I would love to hear why. Here is what we ended up with.

Rainy Day Playdough

Flour 2 1/2 Cups (may have to add a little at the end)
Salt 1 Cup
Cream of Tartar or Alum 1 Tablespoon
Boiling Water 2 Cups
Oil 1 Tablespoon
Food Coloring 5-10 drops (color to your desire)

First mix all the of the first three dry ingredients. Next mix the next three in a seperate bowl. I found the adding the color to the liquid helps it the blend a little better. Combine the two mixtures and stir until it forms a stiff dough. I then just kneaded in any extra flour to make a good dough that was not sticky. Play, roll, and squish! Store in a plastic bag or container. I found that sometimes when it sits in the bag it may be sticky when you get it out next. I just kneaded in a little more flour.

*Your little ones may try a taste but at least you know what is in it (nothing to harmful in small quantities).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comment! We love to hear from you. We do moderate them first so that is why they may not pop up right away. Thanks again.

Related Posts with Thumbnails