Friday, May 7, 2010

raspberry and cream scones

Lunch for me often consists of meeting my husband at our favorite little bakery for the best sandwich around.  A few weeks ago I finally tried their scones and have been on a quest ever since for a recipe to create something similiar at home.  I think I finally did it the other night when I mixed up a batch to go with the scrambled eggs and hashbrowns we were having for dinner.  My family ate all the scones and we ended up mixing up another batch for dessert and lunches the next day.  I adapted a recipe I found in Everyday Foods Magazine.  I loved how simple it was and yet how great they turned out.

Raspberry and Cream Scones

2 1/2 cups flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt

1/2 cup butter, cut into pieces

3/4 cup buttermilk
1 large egg yolk

1 cup rasperries
4 ounces cream cheese, cut into pieces

flour, to roll out the dough
1 tbsp. sugar, to sprinkle on top of scones

Preheat oven to 400.  Mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in the food processor and pulse a few times.  Add the butter and pulse until pea size pieces form.  In another small bowl mix the buttermilk and egg yolk until blended and then pour into the processor while pulsing just until dough comes together.
Transfer dough to a slightly floured surface and flatten.  Sprinkle the raspberries and cream cheese on top and fold dough over a few times to incorporate.  Roll dough to about 1 inch thick and cut into 2-3 inch pieces.  Place scones on a large baking sheet and sprinkle with sugar.  Bake for 15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comment! We love to hear from you. We do moderate them first so that is why they may not pop up right away. Thanks again.

Related Posts with Thumbnails